Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Autumn

I miss Michigan so much in the fall. So I am posting one of my favorite poems in memory of Michigan's beautiful fall trees!

Autumn
Autumn in felted slipper shuffles on,
Muted yet fiery, --Autumn's character.
Brown as a monk yet flaring as a whore,
And in the distance blue as Raphael's robe
Tender around the Virgin.
Blue the smoke
Drifting across brown woods; but in the garden
Maples are garish, and surprising leaves
Make sudden fires with sudden crests of flame
Where the sun hits them; in the deep-cut leaf
Of peony, like a medieval axe
Of rusty iron; fervour of azalea
Whose dying days repeat her June of flower;
In Sargent's cherry, upright as a torch
Till ravelled sideways by the wind to stream
Disorderly, and strew the mint of sparks
In coins of pointed metal, cooling down;
And that true child of Fall, whose morbid fruit
Ripens, with walnuts, only in November,
The Medlar lying brown across the thatch;
Rough elbows of rough branches, russet fruit
So blet it's worth no more than sleepy pear,
But in its motley pink and yellow leaf
A harlequin that some may overlook
Nor ever think to break and set within
A vase of bronze against a wall of oak,
With Red-hot Poker, Autumn's final torch.
Vita Sackville-West, 1892-1962

2 Comments:

Blogger klasieprof said...

WEll It IS turning into fall here in Michigan...because the Sugar Beet trucks have started to make their runs. They are not prolific yet, but they soon will be!!
The beans in the back field are getting harvested. The Corn..is brown, and just waiting as long as possible to be harvested so they don't have to store it as long. the air is NIPPY in the morning...had our first 'hard"frost the other day.yes..its fall in Michigan.

(as an aside...JOy was just singing..SHe'll be coming round the mountain when she comes....then said..OH ""WE"LL ALL GO out to EAT her when she comes"..I said Honey thats GREET her..she says NO mommy its EAT her...I said..no its GREET..she says..OH well what does Greet mean? I said it means saying "HELLO" she says. OH--will you make me breakfast mommy?"...LOL

8:04 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I miss michigan too, but mostly i miss the people there...I'm going home next weekend.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home