Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Trust and the Infinite

I came across this quote in a website about George MacDonald, and have gone back to it again and again. I've scrutinized it and chewed on it...is it right? Is it biblical? I'm challenged by it to remember how big my God is. Coincidentally, I was also reminded by a friend that I do not have to totally understand God's love and His grace, but I must totally trust in it.

"I firmly believe people have hitherto been a great deal too much taken up about doctrine and far too little about practice. The word doctrine, as used in the Bible, means teaching of duty, not theory. We are far too anxious to be definite and to have finished, well-polished, sharp-edged systems — forgetting that the more perfect a theory about the infinite, the surer it is to be wrong, the more impossible it is to be right."
--From a letter to his father, quoted in George MacDonald and His Wife by Greville MacDonald

7 Comments:

Blogger Lose Weight said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ha! Who needs the internet for dating? I can't seem to get away from it!!! I need a site called "How to make dating go away". I'll probably delete that internet dating comment tomorrow...so, if you feel desperate enough to date through the internet...better get click on that link now!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

hey beth, this is blah blah blah is called blog spam. You can avoid it by changing the setting in your dashboard that says something about a keyword or codeword or something....anyone who posts has to type in the code that comes up on their screen. The spam you got cannot post then.


anyway, more importantly, I believe this quote wholeheartedly. Serving in churches, watching some older people who never ever get sweeter, but know their doctrine inside and out....they are the proof. I don't believe that we live half of what we "know" about God.


why am i posting at 1 am? I was painting here at home and I need to get back to the green room of quietness and steal some zzzzzzz

12:01 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

thanks, got that problem fixed :)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

it's so interesting, to read that quote...which seems to fit so perfectly today, and realize it was written in the 1800's. we obviously aren't the only ones who struggle with trying to know what is too big to know (i guess even the pharisees in Jesus' time did that)

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a great blog Beth!! I will be sure to read it every day to see what is going on. Maybe I might even start my own. I love you girl and can't wait to see you!!!

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Beth, you're post-modern and I can't talk to you anymore, sorry.

Just kidding what I meant to say was that I am going to print that quote and use it in all my classes and make a banner of it and run around with it during chapel.

(There's got to be a middle ground darn it all...)

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home