Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Best of Times, The Worst of Times

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being recieved , for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."
--Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
Does anyone else think it interesting that the whole paragraph above is just one sentence? I just love Dickens! He has such an amazing vocabulary, and every time I read his work, I want to say it out loud. I have begun my traditional yearly perusing of A Christmas Carol (another favorite).

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Sounds like fun! I should begin to start my own christmas traditions since i seem to spend so many by myself..lol

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charles Dickens is such a cruddy writer. It's obvious he never took any grammar. I've never seen such a runny run-on sentence since that one in Ephesians (Paul's another terrible writer).

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home