Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

When the Pieces are Shattered

I was once a glass vase. We all were…like the vases in the craft section at Wal-Mart. All the vases are the same. All of them are plain and cheap: mass produced. Then Life picked up the vase that was me and threw it on the pavement. It shattered.

I have experienced every emotion, every confusion, every hurt of those shattered pieces. I’ve been angry, “God, why didn’t You protect me?” I’ve been scared of all the sharp pieces of glass. I’ve been confused: how do I put myself together again? I’ve been lost: what can I do in life if I’m not whole? I’ve been overwhelmed: there’s too many pieces. I’ve been hopeful: maybe I can fix it with super glue. I’ve tried to use the pieces to help in God’s work. I’ve also used the pieces to deepen my self-pity.

Even as I experience my questions and emotions in endless cycles, God is busy. One by one, He takes each little piece of glass and puts it in place. I question Him, “God, that isn’t where it goes…I’m not going to be a vase if you keep this up!” He continues to put pieces together. It looks odd. And it still hurts.

But eventually, there is my life…not glued with superglue and not a mass produced vase, but a unique sculpture. Each angle of glass reflects the light. The lines from the breaks create a diamond-like effect. No one else’s sculpture looks like mine. And it is beautiful.


Do we have to be shattered in order to be like Him? Does it take a lifetime to put us together? How much are we worth to God as a Wal-Mart vase? Who shatters the vase: the world? Satan? God? Myself? What can I do to serve God when I can't see the sculpture yet?


And, no, I'm not having a pity party. I saw an illustration of this in a movie the other night...and it was so cool and thought provoking that I just had to write about it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

You ask some good questions. I am glad that write about the things that make you think.

I think we shatter because of sin but it is a lot like i told a friend the other day...about how what the enemy intedns to use for evil...God uses it for good.

You are a beautiful scultpture and you are continually being sculpted...I guess it is a life long process...and every unique sculpture glorieifes the artist who made it.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm quick thought. We tend to think of God as molding us into something, and it takes our whole life to get us to where we're going. While I'm pursuing this idea (I don't know if it's good at all), but I've wondered if maybe a way I could think about it is: is our whole life, from beginning to end, the sculpture? Instead of this creation being the sculpture at the end of life, maybe life (with all it's awfulnesses) is the sculpture.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Josh-very good thought...i will be thinking more about that

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home