Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Monday, February 06, 2006

How to say the things swirling in my head and heart?

Growing pains?

Facing the slow, inevitable death of somebody I think I can’t live without…even though I’ve faced it for years…strength drains from me at the thought.

I knew it would be harder if I came closer. I’ve known that all along. So why did I come closer? Because I can’t get enough…because I want to pour my love into them before it’s too late. I want to soak in their very existence before it’s gone. I feel gypped, getting less time because I am younger. The crazy thing: I get more time with them than anyone else…I sacrifice friends and fun for it.

Reality check: I can’t do anything for them that will slow time down…can’t keep them young or pain-free with my love.

Another reality check: God gave me this “bit of grace”, this “extra time” with them…a special gift just for me.

Reality check 3: The same God who WILL NOT forsake me, will not forsake them, either.

This is something I don’t even feel like I can speak out loud; partly because it hurts too much, partly because there are no words for it, and partly because I don’t know how to describe my “connection” to them. I mean, duh, everybody loves their grandparents. But somehow, I think this is a stronger bond than the normal grandparent/grandchild bond—a two-way relationship meeting needs on both sides.

Years are gone so quickly, even sorrow will be gone so quickly. And, God is good. I truly believe that. I believe that more than death.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you, Beth. You're relationship with your grandparents is amazing. Such a gift. I'm glad for you, and say that your hand must say goodbye for a while. I think you know well though, that with your grandparents, it is only your hands that will say goodbye. Your hearts and souls remain in Him now and forever. -Jessie

8:46 PM  
Blogger kiltsandthistles said...

I love you Beth!!! Tell your grandparents I said hi. I am praying so hard for you. I know how hard it is to watch the ones you love as they age.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Amen, I understand. Amen! I wish more people would vaule their grandparents

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home