Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

What I've Learned about Pessimism and Optimism

I always believed that I was a victim of “genetically passed down” pessimism. I was convinced that one is either born a pessimist or an optimist…with no chance of change. What has been thrilling to discover, is that although an optimist may have a natural tendency to be happier…it is a habit of optimism that pulls them along. It was a habit of pessimism that hung over me like a rain cloud. And only in the last few months—due to friends who have made a habit of thinking “happy thoughts”, I have learned that I can choose which way I will allow my mind to wander. I can see each negative thing and feed my Eor (I lost my tail again) tendencies or I can rise above the circumstances and look at my life as a whole…look at the miniscule time of struggle on this earth compared to the unending freedom and joy with God—which, I must add, begins now, not when I die! And believe it or not, my tendency to be pessimistic is disappearing, slowly but surely! I think much less often on the dark side of my life than I used to. What a freeing way to live!

1 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrim said...

It's Eeyore, not Eor you uncivilized savage! :P

I don't believe we are any less responsible for thoughts than we are for any other action. To some extent we can be a little bit trapped by something, but I think that a humble person will always find a way out of whatever dark place our fallen mind may be trapped in.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home