Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Review of a Year

I realized just this month that I have now been in Iowa for over a year. It seems like I have lived here longer than that. I guess it is because so much has happened. It is always good to review where one has come from…and I am going to try.

14 months ago: I was working at School-To-Career Progressions, a non-profit organization in Grand Rapids. All my coworkers were men. I started out making a very small salary, and it was when I gave my notice that my boss offered me a bonus and a good raise if I would stay. In 6 months, I had not been able to find a church or a friend. Because I had no social life, I began painting again more earnestly and I went home on the weekends. I learned that being unequally yoked includes living with unbelieving roommates…not just being married to one. My faith in the church wavered, and I felt that much of Christianity is shallow and selfish. I shed a lot of my own assumptions about Christianity…leaving me in a painful spot of insecurity. I became terribly discouraged, my overwhelming thought: “is this all God has for me?”

August 28th, I packed up everything and moved to Iowa. At this point, I did not have high hopes for life…just for a better job. Tired of looking for a church, I began attending my roommate’s church (interestingly-an African American church). I thought perhaps it would be different…but it was not. I started dating (mostly because of my lack of will to not date the pushy guy). Dating only made me more insecure. I was desperate enough for a job that I started walking door to door, and within one day, I had two job offers. I ended up in Real Estate—Whooda thunk! My career expanded as I went from Office Manager to Closer for the Realty Agency within a few months. All this time I was still lonely and discouraged. My roommate situation was still pretty bad. Surprisingly, the nicest friends I had were some ladies who I met through work. They reached out to me in God’s love at times when I was in great need. A good thing in my life all this time was my Grandma, who I visited faithfully every weekend.

By November, I was beginning to understand the dark struggle within me. I was beginning to see why I had not been able to handle “post-college” life. All the intellectualism and all the “anti-spiritualism” had left me with a weak God, although I had never stopped believing that at some point, He would step in and pull me out of the darkness. This realization opened up my heart once more for a great miracle through the Holy Spirit. A verse caught my eye one night: Psalm 9:10, and as I read that verse, I realized that I was living as if God had abandoned me, and I could drop all the imprisoning intellectualism and I could have power through faith. So I left the church, broke up with the boyfriend, and started taking baby steps toward a more Spirit-filled life. I began believing in a Powerful God again…and a God who would never, ever forsake me.

January came with a whole new life waiting for me. I visited a non-denominational church (and was quite nervous about it). I was now ready to live for God passionately, no matter what…and was NOT looking for another relationship. But God knew better than I, and I found Luke irresistible. He was the worship leader and was everything I had ever imagined. As Luke and I became better friends, I also became more involved in the church. I had now realized that I would most likely never fit in to a Baptist church, because I no longer agreed with some of the distinctives and I no longer fit in with that group of people or their way of life. It only took about a month for Luke and I to be sure beyond doubt that we wanted to get married. But we still planned to wait a year. In the meantime, I got offered at job at a bigger real estate agency, and accepted it after some deliberation. One day, Luke surprised me at my apartment with the life-changing question: why do we need to wait until next year to get married? And that was that. I’m now married almost two months, and learning a whole new way of life.

I admit, it isn’t all easy. I have a lot to learn. I’m still trying to figure out how in the world I can buy groceries that last for more than 4 days. I’m trying to drive into my brain that I need to come home from work and fix a good dinner…even when I don’t feel like it. I’m trying to cope with the busyness that takes the place of my beloved visits to Grandma, quiet evenings painting, and weekends with a book. I still have to get used to the fact that I can’t just go to a store and buy a pair of shoes if I want to. (Don’t get me wrong…Luke would never say no, I just realize I have to be more considerate with my money, now). I have to overcome silly insecurities like singing around Luke (musicians intimidate me). And a biggie: I have to learn how to communicate when I’m upset…no more withdrawing.

On the wonderful side, Luke is so kind and gentle and the man of my dreams! When I hear a scary noise in the apartment, I’ve got someone to tell me it’s okay. When I’m sad, sometimes I get flowers, and always I get prayer. Almost anytime I want to talk, I have a ready listener—even in the night. Dreams of traveling, motherhood, and a cottage in the country are attainable now. I get a wonderful breakfast every morning! My car, smoke detector, door handles, etc. all get fixed. We visit the Lake House (our honeymoon spot) at least a couple times a month. I’m slowly (and awkwardly, I must say) learning how to dance to different kinds of music. Marriage has made me see and want to change areas of weakness in my life that I never considered that big a deal before (it’s painful, yet refreshing, to be challenged to a higher standard of “living in the Spirit.”) I believe my marriage to Luke will make me more like Christ than I ever could have gotten on my own. And so, in a year, I’ll write another review!

2 Comments:

Blogger kiltsandthistles said...

Isn't it amazing what God can do!!! I love you and am so happy for you and proud of you!!!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

What a precious testimony..I am thinking of Isaiah 26:3. I hope you won't mind my typing it out here..."Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee." that last part is the key to the door for me, remembering to actively trust in Him. I loved seeing how God worked in your heart over the past year and brought you to your love as well, as you sought the Lord.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home