Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Morning and Evening

My husband is a morning person. I am not. It isn't that I don't like mornings, on the contrary...they're my favorite. It's just that I can't seem to function up to speed in the mornings. I groan as the alarm goes off (always making my husband chuckle). I groan again as I force my "dead weight" body into a sitting position. I stumble blindly into the bathroom to shower. My eyes do not officially open until after the shower (I just peek occasionally in the mean time). I slowly browse through my closet for something to wear. I sit at a desk and put on my makeup. I contemplate whether to fix my hair or be a slob. Eventually I'm ready for breakfast--at which time I am finally able to speak more than unintelligable words.

Now, in this same amount of time, Luke has: showered and dressed, made the bed, paid the bills, taken out the trash, gassed my car, cooked us a full breakfast of eggs and toast and fruit, made sure my cell phone is in my purse, washed the dishes, and checked his email.

How do I compensate? I make dinner: leftover chili. No joke, folks. The unfortunate thing for Luke is that my best performance time is during work. By the time I come home, I'm tired.

Now, some might look at this and think I got the better end of the deal--that my husband lucked-out. Not so! Sure, I suppose he is the handy-man, the breakfast maker, the one who vacuums the apartment, who plays music for me on his guitar, who changes the oil in both cars and comes home from practice Sunday morning just so we can go to church together. Sure, he gets the dishes cleaner, hangs the pictures straiter, makes our budgets for the next 5 years, gives me back massages and pays the rent.

But, I bring some great things to this marriage, too! I draw the cutest mouse pictures you've ever seen! I can play silly ditties on the harmonica, have impressive school loans, and have quite the knack for bumping into things (thus keeping Luke on his toes to ensure my protection and feel like a hero).

Well, honestly, folks, if the above doesn't make you laugh, you're boring. (And please don't take me too seriously...I can also make spaghetti!).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't being married wonderful?! The Lord chooses the person who will bring out the best in us and meet our needs. I often think I got the better end of the deal as well. ha ha
Being treated like a princess is wonderful :)

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I need to step in here. First, I need to thank my wife for her kind compliments. I love the way she honors me. Don't let Elizabeth fool you all. She is crazy awesome at cooking. I get sick overeating all the time. You know how Elizabeth looks like the most beautiful spring day? Well, she looks just as beautiful in the middle of the night while she sleeps. It doesn't even matter if she has funny hair and clothes. She shines like always. Also, nothing says keeper like Elizabeth's cute little pictures and stories that she's done for me. Now after saying all this, I'm not going to come out and say that, "I got the better deal." I don't really care. All I know is that I finally found her and I can hold her in my arms atlast.

7:00 PM  
Blogger kiltsandthistles said...

okay you two that's enough your making me jealous and weepy (in a happy way!!) I love you both and am so glad to see that you are both so crazy about the other. Beth, even in your blogging I have seen you mature immensely. Luke, I am so glad that God brought you along in my Beth's life, to love and care for her. I couldn't have asked God for a better man for her. I love you both and can't wait for the chance to come and visit again. In my prayers always!

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me laugh and I needed a laugh tonight.

It's far worse, I must say, when you are both night people and you stay up laughing and talking and being brilliantly funny into the wee-smas and then fight in the morning over who is going to turn the dumb alarm clock off...who will shower first...who will get Charleigh up...and who gets to stay in bed longer to be "King of the Bed." I think it took us at least 6 years of marriage to iron this out!

Speaking of newlywed status...I have a little gift for you but I don't think I have the right address to send it to!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home