Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Friday, September 08, 2006

So Why Am I So Ordinary?...

I read a quote this morning and it stimutated this thought. The truth-the very God-based truth-is that I am not. In fact, there is nothing ordinary about me. I'm a writer. I'm an artist. I can sit down and decorate a dollhouse as if I was eight years old. When my smile shines...people fall in love with me. I have a love of nature that would almost be New Agey except that instead it causes me to love God more. I can make a room look like a magazine picture. I can laugh and poke fun at my stupidity in running into an SUV and putting a hole in my car (happened yesterday). I don't wear foundation, mascara, or eyeliner (quite an oddity around here). I drink at least 6 cups of tea at work every day. I don't own a hair brush. Whenever I hold a baby in my arms, I dance. I've lived through intense hardships, and God has never taken His hand off me. I've overcome deep failures, deep doubts, and deep hurts solely through the power of the Holy Spirit (I might add that was a result of faith in God's power...something that for a while I acted as though wasn't enough to help me). I love good smells, fresh air, stormy days, daydreaming, baking bread, sitting in cafes with a journal and coffee, laughing over old stories, phones that don't ring, and music that makes me nastolgic for history I was never a part of. I've been married 6 weeks and still haven't changed my name anywhere (I mean anywhere). I would rather stay home and clean a bathroom than go shopping for groceries. I only like happy colors.

Okay, you get the point. So, back to my question...why am I so ordinary? For that matter, why are you? Your list is as long as mine, and different, and maybe even more unique. So why do we act like we are all the same. Why do we go through each day as if we have nothing over the next person, and they have nothing over us? We are so afraid of infringing on each others' insecurities, of replacing humility with pride, of looking like we want to stand out, that we try to downplay our extraordinary personalities.


Now to take that to a new level: why, as Christians, do we act like we are little weaklings who can't overcome sin and the only way we can reach unbelievers is to look like them? God gave us POWER. God is in us! We can move mountains. We can shun demons. We can understand Scripture. Those are not ordinary things, friends, and they aren't things of the past. Sometimes, I think, when we feel bored with life...it is because we have chosen to be boring...we have chosen the ordinary over the extraordinary. That makes me sad...because my life could be so much more.

1 Comments:

Blogger kiltsandthistles said...

I love how much you have changed Beth!! You are by no means ordinary and I love your honesty and love you show me all the time. A friend is one who will bravely and in love step out to sharpen the iron.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home