Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

In Remembrance of a Godly Man...

Dave Frick was a man in the church that my family grew up in. He passed away this last week. My brother wrote this post about him. What he says is "right on". I pray that we all learn to love that way.

"I'm going to miss Dave Frick a lot. When pastors talked about being "passionate", the young people in the church knew that they could have said "Mister Frick" interchangeably. It wasn't just because he wasn't afraid to say "Amen", and mean it; it was because he wasn't afraid to love us. When I got kicked out of school, he was the only one who reached out to me (and helped me through that tough time). He really had an important role for us young people. When dumb jocks ripped on us skinny guys, he would talk about the guy on his navy ship named "beanpole" - as the crew found out, the strongest guy on the ship. And the guy wasn't an intellectual, but when I looked at Dave Frick I saw Jesus, and there weren't many people I could say that about. The pastors just dismissed our family as dysfunctional (despite a few courtesy visits); but Mr. Frick just accepted us and I know he really believed God had a plan for me, and when I was around him I believed it too.

And without warning, he's gone. It hurts, but differently than I would have thought; when I think about him I don't feel regret, but hope. After a life full of love and giving, and a share of pains and burdens, the decay of this life accumulates... and then it's just time to go.

Dave Frick's life doesn't teach anything new; humility, compassion, passion for holiness. I could know all the greek and hebrew and theology in the world, but if I haven't learned these things, I haven't learned anything at all. So I guess I'll thank him again soon enough for his good lessons. With that, it's time to get back to the here-and-now and catch up on homework (good luck with that). Chow" ---Joshua Powers

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read this to Sandy (Dave's daughter) and Elizabeth (Dave's wife). Thanks to Joshua for writing (and you for posting) what we would like to say about Dave. We have experienced a little more of Jesus' hands-on mercy and grace through his life!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Elizabeth,

I hope your brother still realizes that God has such a marvelous plan for him.

Dave sounds like an incredible man to have had in his life. As Russ Warner always says at BaYouCa

"We all need to be Jesus with skin on."

10:18 AM  
Blogger klasieprof said...

;Dave Frick to me was cool. He was actually a voice of reason in a very chaotic world for me. I was married to an idiot (hard core right wing finanitic..OBEY or die) ..not a lot of grace.....I loved his daughter Theresa because she was a lot like me. (but I had been cowed and beaten down, and she was still wild and had heart).
We attended Central BaPtist church together, with Rev. Gordon Rydman. THey lived just down the street.

I really couldn't talk about him much at the funeral, but I saw all kinds of people I grew up with at First Baptist..Steve Johnston..and his dad Bill Johnston...who ALWAYS gave me a ride to every meeting. This are like the "old world' christians, that loved me whether or not I was a "divorcee's daughter"...and whether or not I made a really bad marriage choice. these are REAL people who LIved a real life..and still were hip. HIs family introduced me to "new tribes" mission..and the idea of mission as service. Steve J. told me at the funeral home, that the Sunday before he died, Dave leaned in, and just whispered to him.."Hey dude, Ya know I love you dont' you?"..and that kind of sums it up..he was Enthusiastic..yet cool enough to whisper too.
His Son David, was with me on the day of my car accident when My Right side was crushed. He was one of the first on the scene, crawled right in the car with me..held my neck still So I didn't hurt it...My thigh was crushed to smithereens, my ankle was shoved up into my leg..and I never lost consciousness. David..I made him lean up so I could see his face..and I said>>OH I KNOW YOU...and asked him to pray for me which he did.
THeresa said at the funeral home, that he didn't even know his dad was gone..that he and His dads best friend were out in some other state in the boonies hunting..I feel for him..because he missed a LOT of love people had for him and his dad.
Donna

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cousin Sandy had written me to tell me about a person who had written something about her dad in the lavender and laughter blogspot..i am so very touched that my beloved Uncle Dave touched so many hearts throughout his life.My uncle was a God fearing man who loved Jesus and people..My late dad,Don Frick was my Uncle Dave's brother..and both of them touched so many people lives with their love for Jesus..And how much Jesus loves each and everyone of us..Jesus shined through them both..my cousins adored their Uncle Don and their dad Dave...there wasn't anything these two wouldn't do for you..all of my Uncles clayt,ray,dave,and bob, and their late sister vi are all born again christians..I am looking forward to meeting them all in the sky some day..I will always miss my dad and Uncle Dave..but their legacy will live on in our of our hearts forever..Love,Diana Simons of Flint.Mi.

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home