Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Friday, December 16, 2005

"These are the Times that Try Men's Souls..."

"The Summer Soldier, and the Sunshine Patriot, shall, in this crisis, Shrink from the service....bla bla..." (had it all memorized at one time)

Here's some more on my week: got pulled over for no license plate, work, work, work, TONS of coffee, driving to the hospital in Ames every night, etc.

Last night I spent the night with Gramma at the hospital. It was a long night. Gramma doesn't even have the strength to pray. She's too exhausted and in pain to want any visitors (unfortunately, they'll keep coming). It hurts so much to see her inability to even talk much. I pray that she will heal!!! It's so scary, because you sit there and wonder: what if she doesn't get better? What if her body is too worn out to recover from such intensive surgery?

Gramma is the one who taught me what real faith is. She is the one who taught me that I don't have to be a greek and hebrew scholar to read God's Word. She is the one that taught me how beautiful you can be without being in style. She is the one who accepts all my silly little delights and interests as if they matter as much as anything in the world. I can show her my prairie dog pictures and she'll brag about them as if I just painted a Mona Lisa. She's the one who calls me her "Sunshine" (can you imagine?).

Grandpa finally got to visit her yesterday. He even made a big deal about dressing nice for her. Can you imagine being 92 and still wanting to look nice for your wife?

So yes, I'm tired; yes, I'm so tense my jaw is sore from clenching my teeth; yes, I want to cry; yes, I'm way too busy to cry; BUT MOST OF ALL--I'm thankful.

I'm thankful to be near my dear grandparents, in a time when I can serve them as they have served me for so long. I'm thankful that God helped me get a new car with good gas mileage the very day I needed one to drive to Ames (it's crazy how much driving I've done this week). I'm thankful that God has protected me (the roads have been icy, I almost got hit head on last night-it should have been a sure accident, God must've been holding my car in His hands). I'm thankful that all this driving has given me a lot of time to talk to God.

I'm thankful for coffee. : )

3 Comments:

Blogger klasieprof said...

Dear Hevenly Father,
Thank you so much for all of your provisions. All of us are rejoicing that YOUR timing is perfect..that YOU provide JUST IN TIME.
We pray for Grandma, pray for your will to be done, and pray for healing.
We just pray that through this..one may come to honor you more in their lives.
In Jesus name,
amen

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Elizabeth; there's hardly a person in the world who knows how to help grandma and grandpa better than you (maybe mom's the only other one). Thanks for doing that,
Josh

5:35 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Elizabeth, I cried reading your site...i know how much one person can mean to someone and i know what it is like to watch them hurt. It is hard, and i am praying.

I love you so much...thanks for being a humble servant. Thanks for being faithful, and thanks for having hope and giving others hope.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home