Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Grace for the Stranger on the Phone

I've never had so many rude people call on the phone as I have in the last three days. What is their problem? I mean...I might understand better if it were a dark gloomy cold day in February. But it is the most beautiful week we've had and I'm just doing my job like everybody else. It is strange to me how somebody I don't even know can get me so flustered. Why should I care? But still, I do. My gut inclination is to be rude back...to make them pay for their poor treatment of me (afterall, I'm very polite and cheerful on the phone). But I usually can bite the inclination back.

I'd like to say that I "hold back" because I have grace for these people. But that isn't the truth. The truth is, it is professionalism that holds me in my place. And for that, I am feeling quite guilty. I'm sure the neighbors and enemies I am commanded to love would include those insensitive strangers I talk to on the phone. God, I think I need that extra "portion" of You for this day.

3 Comments:

Blogger kiltsandthistles said...

Yeesh every where I turn people are reminding me how I need to reflect Christ in my life. Okay so yeesh may not be the right word, cause this isn't a bad thing. This is very good for me, I need to be consistently reminded that I am a vessel of the King and should reflect His love and grace. Thank you my dearest.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a lot better about lending grace to people after two things:

#1. A lady on ebay went postal on me about some sheet music. She wrote back hours later to tell me that her father had died suddenly under the Christmas tree on Christmas morning a year ago, and maybe Christmas music was a little hard for her to think about...

#2. I went postal on an ebay customer after having a super bad day. I'd never done such a thing in my life. Professionalism or just plain chickenhood had kept me from it so far, but this just set me off. I later apologized and the lady who turned out to be a Christian who listened to me about everything that was going wrong and later sent me a card of encouragement. I've remained grateful for her grace to me and try to picture what "their" day might be like...

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me and my big mouth...i just had the MOST annoying lady CALL me for an ebay thing....argh...is her life seriously so empty that she can devote hours of her time to fretting over a hole in her sheets?????

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home