Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

To Me: A Good Movie

I have a very intricate and rather unusual list of qualities a movie needs to be "good". Luke and I saw a movie last night that did not get a lot of publicity or amazing reviews...in fact, only one theater in the entire Des Moines area was showing it: but we loved it. I don't push my views on anyone else (I've had enough debates with my brother on this subject)...but I just wanted to share my thoughts for fun. They are not all that well developed right now, but perhaps they will be of interest to some of you, anyway.

1. The story needs to have redeeming qualities in it.
2. There usually must be some sense of the spectacular, miraculous, or even magical in it.
3. The "hero" in it must truly be heroic. (Not some Superman who seduces another man's woman)
4. There must be character development of some sort.
5. There must be beauty in it. I'm an artist, and I appreciate beautiful art (of many kinds) in movies.
6. It must leave me with a sense of either satisfaction or motivation.
7. It must not contradict my desire to "feed" myself on what is wholesome and good. (I just don't fall for the idea of saturating myself with movies because they give me a glimpse of the "real world". I live in the real world.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

1st. What movie did you see?

2nd. To me a good movie leaves one inspired to either make a difference in the world or someone elses life. Also a good movie for me is one that has underlining messages about ust the soul of a human being. A good movie also leaves me walking out of a theater with the sense that I'm apart of something bigger than myself.

I think of the movie The Lady in the Water...it had all of these qualities and it was a fantasy type movie but it was truly good , and descent and moral

1:43 PM  
Blogger kiltsandthistles said...

ha ha, you don't know it yet but that is exactly the movie that provoked her thought process here :-). Great minds think alike!!!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

LOL

3:11 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

come on, what movie was it???

9:12 AM  
Blogger kiltsandthistles said...

The Lady in the Water :-)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Hmmm... Well I just saw the dumbest movie ever. "Pulse." It was free except for 2 wasted hours. On the other hand I got to make fun of it with Joel Upham for hours after the fact.

When you talk about miraculous or magical, you're willing to say that sometimes the most ordinary of things can be miraculous right?

I keep forgetting to call you.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home