Lavender and Laughter

Life is too short to drink tea out of a plastic cup....I created this blog to pour the lavender and laughter of my life into yours.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

I am complicated and I am a Marshwiggle (like Puddleglum from Lewis' The Silver Chair). Personality tests don't work on me. I yearn to see Jesus face to face, and to see the love in His eyes. I am learning to walk on water and to be a new person in Christ. I am in love with my husband and baby, and I love the smell of coffee and lavender mixed together.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Adjusting

I'm finding it difficult to adjust to having so much time...all the time I want. It's not that I don't have plenty to do: I can paint and draw and write and visit Grandma and work out and even clean the bathroom...again. It's just that there's this mixture of emotions that keep popping up at every turn. Sure, part of it could be pms...but I think it is mostly that I'm in a new stage of life that I've never been in before-and I don't quite know what to do with myself. I don't actually want to sit at home all day...unless I have a good book (which I'm not willing to spend the money on). If I had a good book, I'd probably feel guilty sitting around reading it. I thought about doing the Vanessa thing and shopping for stuff to sell on ebay...but I don't think Luke would appreciate the extra clutter in our little apartment.

Yeah...guilt. I feel guilt a lot right now. I feel guilt when I don't have the entire apartment spotless by 8:00 am. I feel guilty when I haven't run the errands I said I would run. I feel guilty when I run the errands and spend an extra four dollars on a yummy candle for the kitchen. I feel guilty for wishing I could just go to the coffee shop to write and drink coffee. I feel guilty for feeling guilty! It's not that I miss work...talk about relief! But in a way, I do. I've always found a sort of pride in being a student, being an administrative assistant, being an office manager. Now I'm a housewife...what I always wanted!!! And I'm not feeling much pride in it. I suppose I'm just going through the first days of shock...and once everything becomes routine...I'll be fine.

I will say one thing this time has given me...time for God. I confess, I really struggled to find any time for Him while I was working full-time. Now, I can spend a good couple hours every morning reading His word and praying. It feels like my soul was just drying up...starving for food and thirsting for water. I kept begging God to help me find the time for Him...the time to nourish my soul. And He did. How much He must love me! I mean, even though I kept asking Him to help me with this...what I really thought was that I had to be tougher, and prove that He was more important than the things that were keeping me busy. I thought God would stand back and say, come on, honey, you can do better than this! And instead, He gently took the busyness away, and handed me my Bible and a cup of tea!

So, now, after that big long post about how I'm struggling to adjust, I feel guilty for writing it, because as I look at that last sentence, I see a great gift from God. I just need to figure out exactly how I'm supposed to use the gift. I hope my husband can patiently bear with me in my fumbling and awkward efforts to feel out this new way of life. :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa said...

I know that feeling. You are just so used to be being busy that it feels abnormal to not be busy. My mom calls it "being addicted to adrenaline." (I sure am.)It makes total sense that having all the structure that used to force you to manage time well taken away would leave you a little thrown.

This is really a short season in your life, comparatively speaking. It won't last forever, so take advantage of it. Go to the coffee shop. Soon, other activities will begin to fill your time again and you will chide yourself for not using the break better.

And when I first started "staying home" a Ladies Bible study was a joy. Go to one or start one. You need the interaction!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

And if you are really bored, may I suggest...

BABIES.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Hello..I just saw your name over at Knittin Kat and thought boy I love that name so decided to come and see your blog. I understand the way you feel completely. First of all you cannot feel guilty. I am tons older than you and all of my life I have had this GUILT TRIP thing going!! We have to learn to get off of it. Like ERma Bombeck said..."Guilt the Gift that keeps on giving" and she is really, really right!! We women do this to ourselves. I agree with ness that in work we have schedules. At home we don't. We learn at home eventually to make things work...you now DO have time for your devotions and study. Get involved in a women's bible study. THat is what I do and I love it. Also get yourself involved in some sort of something with your neighbors or your church. Before long you will be so busy that you will have to start saying, NO a lot!! You will love being at home!! Come visit me sometime. Sandy

3:46 PM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

I hope you adjust to your new 'at homeness'. I love it!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Full of JOY said...

wow...i am so jealous of your life. seriously. i know you feel guilty and are going through this journey...but i think i would give anything to be living your life.

i feel quite connected to you, and feel as if we're on the same page sometimes. i, as well, am often a slave to guilt. ick.

i don't mean to down play how you're feeling, but saying i wish i could be living your life- i just mean i'm going through some tough stuff, too.

glad we can share...

9:49 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Hey sister. It's probably okay to feel a guilty now and then. Leaving New York, I had to ignore a lot of guilty questions concerning unfinished business. There was just no way I could leave feeling like I had done everything I was supposed to, tied off all the loose strings. I decided, "Well heck, I'm just becoming unhappy for no reason" and have pretty much decided it's better to be a little mean and imperfect than be beaten down by inadequacy and insufficient energy. Still, it's probably okay to feel guilty now and then.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home